Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Stewartby Lake

The Ampthill Baptist Church Secretary, Liz, and I met this morning to discuss her role and various aspects of the church. We had a cup of coffee at the Marston Vale Country Park centre before walking the footpath around Stewartby Lake. Liz is really keen on dragonflies and there were plenty to see, even in the strong wind. Common Darters were everywhere and we managed some good views of perched Migrant Hawkers. Damselflies included good numbers of Common Blues, including several 'in tandem', and a couple of Blue-tailed and Banded Demoiselles.

Highlight of the day for me was a Bank Vole that scurried across the grass towards us, sheltering right between my feet for a few seconds, before continuing on its journey. We were in the middle of an open area of countryside so I assume the vole mistook me for a tree!

No comments:

Post a Comment