Saturday, August 7, 2010

Ampthill Park

Having talked about the plight of our Horse Chestnuts, I came across this in Ampthill Park this morning:

It refers to a magnificent Beech Tree, and I fear that it may be the results of a fungal disease that has already led to several of the Park’s Beeches being felled.

At the other end of the size scale, I came across this Wood Mouse in her nest. On the 29th July I found her (presumably a female) in exactly the same situation. I assume she’s got young, the average being between 4 and 7 individuals, but I didn’t want to disturb her any more to find out. Up to six pregnancies, one after the other, have been recorded in the wild in Wood Mice, the population potentially doubling every month. When in the nest, females exclude other mice.

No comments:

Post a Comment