Friday, February 23, 2018

Cricket Tub Spider!!

A few days ago I contacted my good friend, Alan Outen, following a post on the British Spider Identification Facebook page about the spider, Thanatus vulgaris, which regularly arrives on our shores in the tubs of live Crickets purchased by those who keep reptiles and the like. Because I was on my way to the Isle of Wight for a few days I wasn't able to follow this up myself, and so Alan made his way to the local Koi Carp Company at the first opportunity and, almost straightaway, found a spider in a tub which he subsequently bought. Alan's brilliant photos are below. I finally caught up with the spider this afternoon.




Isn't it a beauty!

Being at Alan's home, I wasn't surprised to find 2 new fungi waiting for me:


Gnomoniella rubicola on a Bramble stem


Clypeosphaeria notarisii on a Raspberry cane

No comments:

Post a Comment