Friday, March 30, 2012

Last night's moths


 I was really pleased to find this Oak Beauty in the moth trap this morning. They're fairly common this time of year....but that doesn't take away from their beauty!

Not having had the trap out for a few years, I'm going to need a bit of help. Sometimes you get a moth that you know you should know but, in the end, you have to confess that you don't know. This is one of them....any identification help appreciated!

More Pug quandaries. The dark wedges on the wing of this wee beastie seem to suggest that it's a Brindled Pug.

But is this another Double-striped Pug?

And this micro has got me beat. Diurnea fagella seems to be common at the moment, but this doesn't seem to tick all the boxes!

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Update:
Thanks to Steve T for his help. Both the pugs look like Double-striped. The other macro is an Early-tooth Striped (I guessed that it might have 'striped' in its name!) and the micro is Eudonia angustea.

Other moths:
Hebrew Character - 1.
Early Grey - 1.
Small Quaker - 3.
Clouded Drab - 1.
Light Brown Apple Moth - 2.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Steve,

    Just found this blog of one of my favourite parts of the country! And some great photos of the wildlife to show the Island off!

    Your grey-barred moth looks like Early Tooth-striped, although I've never caught this species, so don't take my word for it!

    I would say both your pugs are Double-striped as they lack any discal spot, and the micro is Eudonia angustea of which several have been reported from around the UK, much earlier than it should be.

    Keep up the great blogging, I'll keep checking in to see what you've seen!

    Regards

    Steve T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Steve - I really appreciate that!
    Best wishes,
    Steve P.

    ReplyDelete