Friday, March 9, 2012

Snake in the Grass!


On the way back from a meeting in Ventnor this morning I stopped off to search the scrub above the cliffs at Freshwater Bay for Adders. It was very cool with a good breeze so I wasn’t really expecting to see much. I also decided that, next time, I was going to put my boots on because it would be so easy to get bitten in this kind of habitat with its springy grass & low growing ivy under which Adders could easily be resting. In the end, I almost stepped on this individual…..


 And here’s a bit of video – not great, but the best I could manage under the brief circumstances I had to capture it. It should be a bit easier to get some good footage on a warmer day!


  
Other sightings included a pair of Stonechats and what looked like a reddish erythristic Rabbit – I shall try and get some footage of that individual soon.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Steve,

    You did well to get the adder on video!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Rob,

    What I really want to do is to get some action of the male adders 'dancing'. I'll have to wait for another month or so for that, so I'm looking for good places to 'stake out' in the meantime!

    Best wishes,
    Steve.

    ReplyDelete