Saturday, September 5, 2009

Chandos Road, Ampthill.

I woke up (late!) to 2 new moths in the trap this morning: Svensson's Copper Underwing & Lesser Yellow Underwing. That brings the confirmed annual total for this little paved plot with borders to 173 species...incredible!

I'm glad that I got out last night, because I haven't had chance to get out this morning in the midst of a flurry of preparations for Carole's parents' Golden Wedding Anniversary family celebration here next week, and sorting John out before we take him down to Southampton for a gig in the next half-an-hour or so. But Vicky, our postlady, has just delivered the British Mammals CD that I ordered earlier in the week. I'm looking forward to listening to the angry squeaks of Edible Dormice, the plop of Water Voles, the snuffling of Hedgehogs, the screams of Foxes, the whickering of Badger cubs, the whistles of Otters, the trilling of Stoats, the flipper slaps of Common Seals, the grunting of Wild Boar, the belching of Fallow Deer and the barks of Roe Deer....amongst others!! Of course, I'll have to make sure I'm on my own when I put the CD on the system!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment