Saturday, September 19, 2009

Chandos Road, Ampthill

Last night was NATIONAL MOTH NIGHT, 2009. I set the trap up and thought it was appropriate to share a few of the moths present this morning...

The Light Emerald is a beautiful moth - there were 4 in the trap this morning.

I think that this may be a Mallow. If so, it's my first one for the garden. Andy & Melissa Banthorpe, our Beds Macro-moth Recorders will have to confirm for me whether it is or not.
Update: Sunday morning - Andy has now confirmed that this moth is, in fact, a Grey Pine Carpet: another demonstration, if one was needed, of the importance of our Recorders. It's still another new moth for the garden, though - number 178!

Here are 2 definite new moths for the garden: Lunar Underwing and Black Rustic.

And here are 3 for our Micro-moth Recorder, David Manning, to look at for me. This is another new one if it's what I think it is - Garden Rose Tortrix (Acleris variegana).
Update: Sunday afternoon - David's ok with this id.

This one's got me beat. If I was to hazard a guess, I'd go for Cyclamen Tortrix (Clepsis spectrana).
Update: Sunday afternoon - David is not able to make a definite id on this photo. He thinks that it may be another one of my old friends in the next photo...

But I'm fairly confident with this one. I've had a lot of these over the past year. It's the Light Brown Apple Moth (Epiphyas postvittana), the scourge of Australian orchards which first turned up in this country in 1911 before spreading across the south....and to my garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment