Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Maulden Heath

Not a brilliant photo, but this was a new Hoverfly for me today: Ferdinandea Cuprea. These woodland Hoverflies are noted for their habit of resting in dappled sunshine, just like this one!

I spent some time reading at the southern end of the Heath. I took the Buttolo decoy with me and, pausing now and again from my book, I would give it a squeeze. After 10 minutes or so I looked up from the page to find a female Muntjac staring at me from about 25m away before eventually continuing on her way. No more than 5 minutes later I looked up to see a buck staring at me from just about the same place. He too seemed fairly unconcerned at my presence and spent some time wandering through an adjacent copse, browsing and regarding me inquisitively from time to time. Wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment