Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Wednesday Moths

Moth numbers continue to rise, though I've got nowhere near the numbers or variety that some people seem to be getting!

These two Willow Beautys were settled nicely.

I initially thought that this was a Spruce Carpet, but the streaks towards the outer edges of the wings suggests that it is a Cypress Carpet. The UK Moths website gives the following information: First found in West Sussex in 1984, this species has now become established in parts of southern England, such as the Isle of Wight, Hampshire and Dorset. It feeds on Monterey cypress (Cupressus macrocarpa) and Leyland cypress (Cupressocyparis leylandii). The moths fly in May and June, with a second generation in August and September.

I'm assuming that this must be Foxglove Pug, though the streaks on the wing are not present on the literature that I've got!

And I'm also assuming that this is a Vine's Rustic - I get quite confused with these and Common Quakers....over time I'm sure I'll become more confident if I keep hammering away at these identifications!

Finally, two moths that I've got no idea about:

This is one of those that I feel I should be able to identify...
Update: Thanks to MoreMoth at iSpot for identifying this as Pale Mottled Willow. The dark marks along the leading edge of the wing, together with the white flecks around the kidney-mark are distinctive and should help me to identify with with confidence in the future.

...but I'm not holding great hopes out for the identification of this Pug!

No comments:

Post a Comment