Friday, March 4, 2011

Dreaming of the spring!

It's been a really tough day today and, being stuck in studying while the sun has been shining, hasn't helped....but I've just answered a knocking at the door to a Fex Ex parcel and my new Batbox Duet bat detector. Carole insists that I save up for things, and I've been saving for this over the past 5 months, so there's Birthday money, Christmas money & pocket money all invested in this...exciting or what! And they've even put a battery in it so that I can look at the dial and listen to the interference as I dream of Pipistrelles chattering and Noctules chopping!

I've also been preparing for the new season by leafing through Bats of Britain, Europe & Northwest Africa, by Dietz, Helversen & Nill. I can't begin to tell you just how good this book is. It covers all of the 51 bat species of the region with flowing text alongside one superb image after another from beginning to end. The chapters covering topics like echolocation, foraging and feeding behaviour, hibernation and population ecology are also worth their weight in gold. I can't wait for the warmer evenings!

1 comment:

  1. Greetings from Finland. This blog is fun to explore, through other countries, people, culture and nature. Come take a look Teuvo pictures blog. Also tell all your friends why he must visit Teuvo pictures blog. Therefore, to obtain your country's flag rise higher Teuvo images to your blog flag collection. Have a wonderful weekend Teuvo Vehkalahti Finland

    ReplyDelete