Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Great White Egret

 I love this time of year. Millions and millions of birds are streaming north out of Africa and arriving on our shores which, together with a lot of coming and going by those birds closer to home, results in a very real sense of excitement and expectation concerning just what might turn up next.

But I confess that I hadn't expected a Great White Egret to arrive. It was reported yesterday from the Scrape area, and I joined Caroline & Tony in a search for it yesterday evening. It was hard work, but we eventually found it in a relatively quiet water meadow as it took off and headed north over Mill Copse looking pretty majestic!


First thing this morning I approached the flooded meadow from the east and was rewarded with great views of the Egret feeding below me. I didn't dare get too close, but watched from my elevated position as it stalked around the meadow before flying to a pool close by.

Last year Great White Egrets bred for the first time in the UK at Shapwick Heath in Somerset. With several local sightings over the past year, I wonder if we might see them nesting here at some point, too, as their range continues to expand!

7 comments:

  1. Came across your blog when looking for wildlife sightings here in Bedfordshire :)Saw my first Great White Egret at Horsey Mere in Norfolk this March.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Poppy,
      Great to hear from you. I love the IOW, but I do miss Bedfordshire, too, especially the deer, which we don't have on the Isle of Wight! Have you seen anything interesting?

      Delete
    2. We have had some good bird sightings lately. Saw some Crossbills and a Mealy Redpoll last week at The Lodge in Sandy and in March we saw a Mandarin Duck at Woburn Lakes :)
      I have been on holiday to the Isle of Wight a couple of times in my caravan before and I really like it too. I didn't really watch birds then like I do now but did see Peregrines at Tennyson Down which I enjoyed.
      I have just started a blog sharing my days out:
      http://poppyswanderings.blogspot.co.uk/

      Delete
  2. Excellent video Steve.Seems a very elegant and graceful bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peter - it was hard work getting to see it, but well worth it, with brilliant views through the 'scope....just need some invertebrates, too, now! :-)

      Delete
  3. What a beauty. We get Little Egret here but not the Great White. Both are elegant birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen them before, but it still amazes me just how big they are....and that long neck is amazing!

      Delete