Saturday, February 27, 2010

Ampthill Park Verge

This is an old sign board from The Cellar Bar in Ampthill that I found discarded here some years ago now. I regularly check underneath it because it's yielded quite a few small mammal records over the years.

And this is what lies beneath...a little nest, which I've assumed to be the work of a Bank Vole, and a couple of pretty wide runs, evidence of Brown Rat activity.

...but when I lifted the refuge this morning, I found this Common Shrew scuttling around underneath and wondering where the roof had gone! I still think that the nest has been constructed by a Bank Vole, though, and that this little beastie happened to be visiting when I arrived. It will be interesting to see what occurs under here in the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment