Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Hoverfly yearnings!!

I love going out and seeing what birds are around, but I can't wait to begin posting more on the local mammals, plants & invertebrates. The local hoverfly fauna particularly interests me. This time last year was a lot milder and there were a number of the common 'Marmalade Hoverfly' (Episyrphus balteatus) around in the local hedgerows, but I've not had a sniff of any this year.

So here's a fascinating piece of video in anticipation of warmer days. It's a clip from David Attenborough's Life in the Undergrowth series with some of the most fascinating Hoverfly footage I've ever seen. As far as I'm concerned, it's right up there with his famous Mountain Gorilla footage!! Why do male Hoverflies spend so much time hovering......


No comments:

Post a Comment