Thursday, May 24, 2012

3 Badgers at Sett C


Yesterday evening at Sett C, for the first time, the trailcam briefly recorded 3 Badgers in shot at the same time. When I arrived at dusk the mangy Red Fox was already sniffing about at the sett entrance but, surprisingly, no Red Foxes were recorded on the camera all evening. There were no Brown Rats either! What I found particularly interesting is the fact that the sow & cub - growing well now - seem to have spent most of the evening in this particular area or, at least, they regularly returned.


Here they are having a good scratch!

Only 5 moth species in the trap overnight.
The reddish colour makes me fairly confident that this is a Red Twin-spot Carpet and not a Dark-barred Twin-spot Carpet.

This is a Garden Pebble.....fascinating name!

But I don't know what this micro is - any help gratefully appreciated!

Update:
I put this photo on Ispot, and Douglas has suggested that it is Tachystola acroxantha. It certainly looks good for that species, but I'm holding my breath a little bit because, according to my book, it's a provisional RDB3 species (has only been recorded in 11-15 10km squares in the UK). I can't believe that this is still the case because it was first recorded in Hampshire in the mid-90s as part of a dramatic colonisation eastwards from its adopted South Devon home! It was first recorded in the UK in 1908, originating from Australia, so perhaps global warming is helping it to spread a bit! To think that I almost didn't bother to take a photo of this LBJ (Little Brown Job)!

There was a scream from Carole when she went to bed yesterday evening, followed by a summons to come up to the bedroom straightaway. Arriving, I was greeted with, "There's a massive horrible insect thing!"

I'd already guessed what it was - the Cockchafer/Maybug season is upon us. There were 7 in the trap this morning!

2 comments:

  1. The last moth might be micro moth Tachystola acroxantha - see the fourth picture down in this blog:
    http://raggedrobinsnaturenotes.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/two-garden-moth-ticks-and-one-that-got.html

    Those Maybugs do like to bother people don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're absolutely right about the moth id thanks, Toffeeapple - they used to be really rare but apparently they've been thro' a population explosion in recent years.
    Even I jump when a Maybug clatters past my ear at night!! :-)

    ReplyDelete