Saturday, May 26, 2012

Beautiful orchids

I came across some of these beautiful orchids on the undercliff below Headon Warren a few days ago.

 I'm struggling to identify them. The leaves are unspotted and they've got flowers which are delicately pink-spotted. I wonder if they are a hybrid - maybe Common Spotted x Southern Marsh Orchid which, I understand, does occur in this area?

I found these 'diggings' into the cliff down on the beach. I wonder if it was a Badger, maybe considering setting up home before deciding that it wasn't a good idea?


There were 7 Sandwich Terns around - 5 were fishing and these 2 were taking a rest!

3 comments:

  1. I have no idea about the Orchids other than it seems to be a good year for them according to other blogs that I have read recently.

    I enjoyed hearing the sound of the sea in your video of the Terns, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephen,
    Email your Orchid photos or a link to them to Graham Bellamy and see what he thinks - he's good at them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, as always, for the encouragement, Toffeeapple.
    And thanks for the suggestion, Andy - I'll do that!

    ReplyDelete